‘Tools’ for the Road
Resources for your Family
(and your Faith) Life
Welcome Friends! Here is a list of print and digital resources that I’ve collected over several years. Everything on the list has been used by me or has been recommended to me by friends, so browse around and see what might be useful for you or your family at any given time. Let me know in the comments below if you have questions or recommendations. Let’s keep the conversation going!
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel (this book and video helped me when I had doubts and needed some one to give me concrete evidence for what the Bible and the Church tells us)
- Video Version of The Case for Christ
- Bishop Barron on the Mass (one of many Videos that I love by Bishop Barron. He’s also really great at discussing recent movies and TV from a Catholic Perspective)
- Jennifer Fulwiler’s conversion story (from Atheist to Catholic). She’s really active on Instagram and is really funny. She’s currently on tour with her comedy show.
- Scott Hahn’s conversion story is my favourite. Here’s the YouTube version.
Children and Faith
- The Case for Christ for Kids by Lee Strobel
- If your kids like Graphic Novels like Tin Tin. This book is about a little boy and St. Francis: Loupio
- This little book about the Mass is beautiful and my kids love it
- Talking to your Kids about Faith
- Fun Bibles and Catechisms that include what they’re into Lego, Lego Catechism, Minecraft, Graphic Novel Style
For Women (and men too!)
- Pat Gohn has a great Podcast and blog. She’s written some books too! She was very important when I started practicing my faith again.
- Women of Grace is a TV show on EWTN (the American Catholic TV station), but it’s also a ministry that includes a radio program/podcast and books.
- Love this book! Small Steps for Catholic Moms
- Lisa Hendey has written a bunch of books, but this is still my favourite: The Handbook for Catholic Moms
Family Life and Books for Kids
- Family activities for the whole year.
- Talking to your Kids about Faith
- The best book about The Saints and a classic, for sure.
- When Faith causes some Friction. Here’s a great interview.
- I use this book all the time!!! and I’ve given it as a gift for baby showers and new mothers.
- Sitting Like a Saint This book introduces quiet time and meditation for catholic kids…love how it gives the kiddos different options depending on how active they want to be.
- My kids LOVE this book by Pope Francis
- Dr. Guarendi is straight talking and gives good advice in this interview and all of them. I enjoy his books. This is the one I’ve used the most.
- Dr. Ray Guarendi also appeared on Oprah back in the day and has some YouTube stuff available.
- This book is so cool for the little ones, so they can follow along during Mass
- This book helped me understand my family (and why they sometimes drive me crazy!) Hope it helps you too: The Temperament God Gave you
Fun with Theology
- Scott Hahn really taught me a lot about why we believe what we believe. His books and talks are great if you want to go deeper. In person, he was such a dynamic speaker.
- If you’re interested in the early Church. I learned so much!!!
- A great book for Lent
- How important the Church was in World History
YouTube Channels to Inspire
- Word on Fire (Bishop Barron’s ministry…love this site! so inspiring!!)
- A Catholic Mom’s Life (full of resources for families, kids and women)
- Ascension Press has a great YouTube channel. I especially like Father Mike’s style, but browse around and see what you enjoy.
- A Video about some great Catholic Classic Books
- Gabi After Hours. I haven’t watched all his videos, so I can’t vouch for all of them, but I like his video on Lourdes.
- Father Anthony Messeh is a great speaker and I enjoy his video series on all sorts of topics. He is a Coptic Orthodox Priest and he lives in Washington.
- A Catholic Mom’s video about it. Explanations included.
- Step by Step Rosary
- Another Video I like a lot. It explains a great deal….I aspire to be able to say my rosary more often. This video reminds me to it!
- Immaculee Ilibagiza survived the Rwandan Genocide. Her story is heart wrenching, and her book on the rosary is very inspiring.
Random Stuff to Sooth your Soul
- A Worrier’s Guide to the Bible
- A basic and useful book that gives you the basics!!
- A Do it Yourself Retreat. Father Gaitley is great and I enjoyed hearing him in person. His books helped me get some prayer time in even though I can’t get away.
- Catholic TV
- If you’re the artistic type or you want to color to relax. Great for teens.
- Father Mike on Friends and Community
- This video helps me feel better when I feel sorry for myself
- The Gist Catholic TV…kind of like The View, but Catholic